Sunday, November 1, 2015

Day 5 of Blogging Challenge - Adding Cycle Sounds Amp to Harley-Davidson

This blog post is the fifth in a series of 14 (days) that will be used to reJumpStart my blogging habit. I started a few years ago and lost interest (and the habit) of blogging. I was looking for a way to encourage and prod me to start this habit again. Maybe this will get you thinking about blogging again or for the first time. Found this inspiration as I was reading blogs. I hope you will follow me and provide me with moral Internet support.

In one of my previous posts I talked about buying a new Harley-Davidson. After riding for a few months, I realized I did want to have a better experience in listening to music why riding. There is a also a lesson for those thinking about buying a bagger is if you like listening to music, you may want to upgrade right out of the chute. I did not know my bike did not come with the 'best' stereo, I made a bad assumption that "special" model of the bike would already have that. Just another item to be aware of when looking at buying a motorcycle, especially one that you may be riding long distances. 

Once I decided to upgrade the stereo I started with Harley-Davidson option. While I it is fairly expensive to buy the stock Harley-Davidson parts, the good part is they are made to fit in nicely and keep the bike looking stock. The downside is that the cost is about double what other options. I started with just upgrading my speakers to the Boom! Audio Stage I High Performance 6.5 in. Road Glide Fairing Speakers . These made some difference, but still needed more driving the speakers, I went with an amp. For this in researching options I found Cycle Sounds and picked up their Bagger Audio Amp , Harley-Davidson wiring harness and ‘magic box’. The ‘magic box’ is basically what I would call a cross over that changes the output from the Harley-Davidson stock stereo. The wiring harness allows the amp and magic box to be added without cutting or soldering wires and potentially void your warranty.
Bagger Audio™ 4-Channel Amplifier (Mini Series)
 
A note on installing the amp, in the instructions, Cycle Sounds says you can mount the amp on the top of the deck. This did not work on my Road Glide Special and mounting had to be beside the desk. Unfortunately, I have lost the pictures that showed my installation. If I am able to find these I will add them later. You will also want to tune the amp with music that you will be listening to. Also, you will find that when using the Boom Unit as opposed to your phone will sound a bit different.

If you want to work on your Harley-Davidson I would strongly recommend that you pick up a Harley-Davidson Service Manual for your bike. The manual will allow you to pretty much take your whole bike apart and put it back together.

I will write a second blog article on my experience with the Cycle Sounds setup after installing and using for a while.


How did you decide which stereo system to add/upgrade for your motorcycle?

No comments: