Monday, October 26, 2015

Day 4 of Blogging Challenge - Buying a Harley-Davidson

This blog post is the fourth in a series of 14 (days) that will be used to reJumpStart my blogging habit. I started a few years ago and lost interest (and the habit) of blogging. I was looking for a way to encourage and prod me to start this habit. Maybe this will get you thinking about blogging again or for the first time. Found this inspiration as I was reading blogs. I hope you will follow me and provide me with moral Internet support.

Today, I wanted to review my experience in purchasing a new Harley-Davidson. Earlier this year I bought a 2015 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Special. I jumped in the deep end and picked up a pretty big bike for my first road bike. I wasn’t 100 percent sure what I would happen but after a few months into I have loved riding and look forward to improving my skill and different riding experiences. 

What spawned this crazy purchased was that my brother-in-law and friends had purchased Harleys and this pushed me over the edge on trying something new. I had jumped with all fours into riding four wheelers at the sand dunes, so I had already tasted of speed and the fun in open space.

Another help or prod is that my brother had been riding a Harley for years. I had a few conversations with him about what to consider and what he would look for in a bike. His ideas led me to the Road Glide over the Street Glide. Having the Street Glide sets me aside from most of the other guys I am riding with but I am happy with it. I even went with the Superior Blue which is a departure from many guys going with the darker colors and even the murder look.

As far as the process of buying, note that Harley-Davidson does not deal on their prices if you have any leeway in dealing it is with the accessories and extras. I would recommend that you ask around and find a dealer that has a good reputation for making deals on the extras. The other key is seeing what guys are doing with their bikes, pipes, air boxes, seats, handlebars. There are numerous options and it is surprising how many different ways you can setup a bike. I would recommend that you get a pipe, slip-ons and air box as you will do this soon enough. Remember highway pegs, sissy bar for your gal and if you will be riding long distances, get yourself a back rest.
Also, make sure to buy protective equipment, including helmet (recommend the modular, full face), leather jacket, heavy boots, gloves and chaps or Kevlar jeans. There are other options, you will find these from asking around and researching on the internet.

Finally, make sure to take the motorcycle safety course preferable before you start riding. Go to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and find a class near you. I waited to take my class and maybe in retrospect I should have done that first. If you have no or limited experience it will help you.


Do you have any experiences with buying or learning to ride a motorcycle?

No comments: