Monday, November 16, 2015

Day 8 of Blogging Challenge – Deciding To Take a Cruise

This blog post is the Eighth in a series of 14 that will be used to reJumpStart my blogging habit. I started a few years ago and lost interest (and the habit) of blogging. I was looking for a way to encourage and prod me to start this habit again. Maybe this will get you thinking about blogging again or for the first time. Found this inspiration as I was reading blogs. I hope you will follow me and provide me with moral Internet support.

A little different subject for today on cruising or consider taking a cruise. I have gone on a few and while not an expert, hopefully, I can provide some ideas or thoughts for someone that has never taken one. They can be a lot of fun and a different way to see new countries. Will cover deciding whether to take a cruise, where to consider going, which cruise line to take, and how to prepare.

If you would like an opportunity to have a new experience a cruise may be a choice for you. Do you want to have someone keep your room cleaner than a hotel, be able to eat whenever you want, feel the ocean air, and not have to worry about getting on a plane or in a car to reach your next destination then a cruise may be for you. What about seasickness? I get seasick and you do need to take something for that or get a patch from your doctor. Overall, I have been ok, expect for one time on an Alaska cruise, where I had a few days of being green. I had not taken any medication so that I am not sure if it would have been different for me.

Where should you go? First, decide if you want a warm climate or cold? I have done both Alaska and to the Bahamas, each have their own benefits, but if you have a preference, you can find somewhere that should fit your need. Also, consider where you will leave from, this will be part of your cost depending on the port. For example, if you are on the west coast and leave out of Miami, you will have the cost of a flight across the country. Sometimes you can get a good deal with the given cruise line but many times you can do better on your own.

Which cruise line? Check with your friends that have gone before, each has a different vibe and good and points. Carnival is more affordable and tends to be more of a party atmosphere, where Princess is a little nicer and tends to have an older crowd. Do some research or you could end up with an environment that isn’t what you intended. For example, Carnival has a great weekend cruise out of Los Angeles that goes to Mexico, but it is a party cruise and if you are looking to relax, may not be the right choice.

Once you make a choice, research everything you can about the ship, so you can ensure to take full advantage of all the activities available. When you are on the ship, walk around and get your bearings. Sometimes I have found cool parts of the ship on the last day. Would have prevented that with some long walks to start off with. Briefly, on excursions, they can be really expensive, we have started just finding stuff in port, if at all.  There is a lot more to about cruises, maybe for another blog post.

Any advice for someone thinking about a cruise?

No comments: