Sunday, November 1, 2015

Day 6 of Blogging Challenge - Cycle Sounds My Experience So Far

This blog post is the sixth in a series of 14 (days) that will be used to reJumpStart my blogging habit. I started a few years ago and lost interest (and the habit) of blogging. I was looking for a way to encourage and prod me to start this habit again. Maybe this will get you thinking about blogging again or for the first time. Found this inspiration as I was reading blogs. I hope you will follow me and provide me with moral Internet support.

This post is a follow up to my post on adding speakers and an aftermarket amp to my Road Glide Special Harley-Davidson. I added new Harley-Davidson speakers and an aftermarket amplifier from Cycle Sounds . I installed these with assistance from my brother-in-law and tuned amplifier after a call with technical support. Tuning basically consist of setting your output control with a few different music selections. I set mine to just shy of 3/4. I have had the setup for a few months and here is my experience with this setup.

I have had some instances where the amplifier cuts out. This has mostly been when it is warmer outside and I had the stereo cranked. Usually have just turned down or off and after 10 minutes or so the unit cools off. I like the sound using my radio or using my phone. When you are going faster than 50 miles per hour, the sound drops off but that is expected. I have asked a few other guys and they have the same experience. Overall, I would recommend the Cycle Sounds setup. I probably would have gone with aftermarket speakers instead of the stock Harley-Davidson speakers.

If you have the new Boom system on your Harley-Davidson, you may consider this change first before adding new speakers or an amplifier is to consider a different windshield. I have one friend who added a taller windshield and this seem to cut the notice down enough that he could hear his stereo much better. I still have the stock windshield so I can’t directly speak to this option. If you are going to do a lot of longer rides, you may want to consider this option anyway and see how this works with your bike. I plan to get one based on the feedback from other guys who have added a longer windshield. That would be a different set of Blog Posts for another day.

Overall, if you have a stereo, I would recommend getting an amp. Another option to go even bigger is add speakers with an amp to your bags. This costs a lot more since you have to buy new covers and get them painted. It does sound cool when you are at stop lights, a few of the other guys I ride with have them. Don’t seem to matter much when you are heading down the highway.

A reminder, if you want to work on your Harley-Davidson I would strongly recommend that you pick up a Harley-Davidson Service Shop Manual for your model of bike. The manual will allow you to pretty much take your whole bike apart and put it back together, probably J

Any advice or comments on changes you have made to the stereo system on your motorcycle?


No comments: