Monday, October 19, 2015

Day 1 - 14 Day Blogging Challenge

This blog post is the first in a series of 14 (days) that will be used to reJump start my blogging habit. I started a few years ago and lost interest (and the habit) of blogging. I was looking for a way to encourage and prod me to start this habit again. Maybe this will get you thinking about blogging again or for the first time. Found this inspiration as I was reading blogs.

OK, I admit it, I must have an issue using Google Search. I was reading a great blog article on how to start or restart blogging and the author discussed the concept of a 14 Day Blogging Challenge. Basically, the idea is to write a blog post every day at least 500 words for 14 days. For the life of me I think I found every article but that one... I am going to just pick one blogger and use references from Jeff Goins articles encouraging writing and use him as my new baseline if for no other reason than I follow him and he writes a lot about how to write. Goins has a great blog to follow if you want continued inspiration with your writing endeavors, a few posts I would review are How to Make Writing Effortless  and a new concept on how to start something ... Something about starting today not tomorrow :).

Since I have lost the original blog post, I will use the following standards (maybe roughly using Jeff Goins ideas) to guide my 14 Day Blogging Challenge. 1) Write a blog post every day and 2) Write about whatever I want to. After 14 Days the idea is that you can break through the challenges of starting to write blog articles. Seems to follow the idea on how to start a new habit, the pain with this idea is breaking though the writing each and every day and publish. However it works, I can see the benefit of writing a blog every day and having to publish these and make them public. I think the public part of these helps in the motivation area. Nothing new here but more about just taking the first steps to start up a new activity that I enjoy.

I have already outlined subjects to write about the hard part for me will be to add at least 500 words of content that is somewhat interesting to someone. Funny how when you need to write at least X number of words initially is more difficult for me. I would expect that 'forcing' myself to write everyday over time would get the writing juices flowing and create a rhythm for writing.

If you have found any good articles or blog posts on how to jump start blogging, let me know. Maybe you have ideas for jump starting the blogging process. Feel free to comment on what has worked for you.


I hope you will follow me on my initial approach and provide me with moral Internet support.

No comments: