Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Day 3 of Blogging Challenge - Morning Pages My Personal Experience So Far

This blog post is the third in a series of 14 (days) that will be used to reJump Start my blogging habit. I started a few years ago and lost interest (and the habit) of blogging. I was looking for a way to encourage and prod me to start this habit again. Maybe this will get you thinking about blogging again or for the first time. Found this inspiration as I was reading blogs. I hope you will follow me and provide me with moral Internet support.

From a previous post, I explained the basics of using a habit talked about by Julie Cameron, author of The Artist's Way called 'Morning Pages', this is a practice of writing three pages each day in a stream of consciousness approach. The morning pages can be a way to generate creativity and clear your mind of any thoughts of any kind, negative or what may be cluttering your mind. I have found that you can clear you thoughts and may also answer other questions. I think while needing to clear your thoughts you also need to be ready to answer questions that may be bouncing around in your mind. Be ready as these opportunities are around and you can somewhat guide your thinking process as you are writing and moving your pen across the page.

I started this new habit in June of this year (2015). I have continued up to this month on a fairly regular basis. I will admit that I have not been able to do these every day and first thing in the morning. I have quit beating myself up about and try not to have a guilty conscious when I miss a day. Writing first thing in the morning and the earlier the better seems to help as well. I seem to feel better if I do this before anyone is up and I clear my head before the day starts. Also, you don’t have to explain what you are doing and you can minimize interruptions. I am finding that I can finish these in less than 30 minutes sometimes 20 if I just write and never lift the pen. One key is to just keep writing and even if you don’t know what to write, just write “I am not sure what to write” and keep writing that until something else comes to mind. Sometimes you may fill a whole page with these words, but given how morning pages work this is just find and work if just remember to keep writing until something comes back to your thing. Just try it, it works and over time you will come to trust that new thoughts will come to mind.

If you want to know more about the practice and read what others have learned from using this habit you can read my blog on the basics of morning pages. 

Do you use the "Morning Pages" habit?
What experiences have you had?

Would you recommend this habit to others?

No comments: